Saturday, October 15, 2011

San Sebastian Church and Gothic Architecture





This hot afternoon(October 15, 2011) me and paul went to San sebastian Church. I was amazed. The church was very beautiful. The interior of the church is steel not all but most of it. I looked at the ceiling the vault used there was a fan vault the boss was a flower ornament I don't know if the ornament was a rose or some kind of a flower. The glass windows were magnificent I was moved because it was my first time to see a rose window and a very big stained glass.

`

When we entered the church there is a red carpet and there are people wearing barongs, gowns etc at the parking lot.But we still entered the church and took pictures without permission hahaha.



When we were looking around the church I saw a "lapida" I looked closely there was a line of "lapidas" there I think that was the tomb of the priests served the church.

Gothic Architecture




Before the topic was opened sir asked us what is the difference of a Monastery and an Abbey. An abbey is constructed in cities and headed by an abbot and a monastery is constructed far in cities mostly in mountains headed by a monk.




West Minister Abbey(London)

Most famous abbey This is where royalties held their wedding



Monastery


This great structures of Gothic architecture was called “Ecclesiatical Structures”.
The "Gothic" was named by Giorgio Visari. This "Gothic" doesn't mean emo, darkness, hatred, people wearing thick eyeliners, punk and etc. before the meaning of the word Gothic was lively, happy, beautiful, colorful.
The Gothic is classified in two periods Rayonnant and Flamboyant. Rayonnant is somehow similar to Romanesque architecture but when Flamboyant boomed and reached its peak they got a new architectural terms and designs.

`
Floor plan

floor plan of the church (click to enlarge)


Gothic imitated the arches of the Romanesque but they raised it and failed. They used third law of Newton - In every action, there’s an opposite but equal reaction.
So a new arch was borned called the Lancet arch.


Lancet Arch


There are three ornaments introduced during this era.

`
Trefoil


N/A
Crochet




Gargoyle


Thus this ends my topic I learned a lot and enjoyed going to a great structure. It was my first time to see a great church like San Sebastian Church.


"I took the other pictures from www.google.com"

1 comment: